The Birth of Jesus from Joseph’s Perspective
Matthew shows us the LEGAL line of Jesus
Luke shows us the LITERAL line of Jesus
I. Joseph’s DILEMMA. Now the birth of Jesus Christ was as follows: After his mother Mary was betrothed to Joseph,
before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Spirit.
Then Joseph her husband, being a just man,
(1) He is facing the tension between law and love.
When a man takes a wife and marries her, and it happens that she finds no favor in his eyes because he has found some uncleanness in her he can write her a certificate of divorce and send her out of his house. Deuteronomy 24:1
(2) He is facing the tension between conviction and compassion.
And not wanting to make her a public example, was minded to put her away secretly.
II. Joseph’s DREAM. But while he thought about these things, behold an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream saying…
(1) The Holy Spirit whispered into Joseph’s ear the cause of Mary’s conception. Joseph, son of David,do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit.
(2) The Holy Spirit let Joseph in on the character of her child. She will bringforth a son, and you shall call His name JESUS, for He will save His people from their sins…and they shall call His name IMMANUEL.
There is salvation in no other, there is no other name under heaven given among men whereby wecan be saved. Acts 4:12
So all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet.
Behold the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel which is translated “God with us.”
III. Joseph’s DECISION. Then Joseph being aroused from sleep did as the angel of the Lord commanded him and took to him his wife.
1) He decided to be faithful to the WILL of God.
2) He decided to be faithful to the SON of God.